Counseling Services

Occasionally academic, personal, and social pressures can feel so overwhelming that it becomes hard to function as usual—we understand. Mount Mercy University Counseling Services is here to enhance your academic life and university experience.

We are here to help

Hours of Operation

8:00 AM-4:00 PM
University Center 210
Satellite office in RACAO 109

About Counseling Services

We are here to help address issues affecting the whole person—including steps to help you grow intellectually, spiritually, emotionally, and physically. In a relaxed and comfortable setting, Mount Mercy's Counseling Services staff assists you in talking through whatever is on your mind to help find solutions to problems or concerns.

Counselors are trained to help with many needs:

  • Stress management
  • Interpersonal conflict (i.e. family or roommate-related issues)
  • Depression/Anxiety
  • Building healthy relationships
  • Assertiveness and self-worth
  • Homesickness
  • Dating or marital relationship issues
  • Sexuality
  • Indecision about future/career
  • General mental well-being
  • Much more

Request services

What to expect

All currently-enrolled students can utilize Counseling Services. After you fill out the request form, you will be contacted to schedule a 30-minute assessment. There, you'll meet with one of our counselors to determine your needs and make a plan for moving forward.

After the initial 30-minute session, you will receive up to 8 free sessions per academic year—most students end up using 5-6. Your counselor will take time to get to know you, understand what you want out of counseling, and create a plan with you to help resolve the issue that brought you in.

Your counselor may assign you tasks to complete between appointments or ask you questions to think about. You and your counselor will track your progress during your time in counseling.

In case of emergency

If you are on campus and experiencing a mental health crisis during business hours, come to Student Services on the second floor of the University Center. Someone will be available to assist you.

If you are on campus and experiencing a mental health crisis after business hours, contact the RA on call or Public Safety. They will be able to assist you.

If you are off campus, call the National Suicide Hotline at 988. You can also visit the Mental Health Access Center, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No appointment is necessary. It is located at 501 13th St NW, Cedar Rapids, IA.

Want to check in with how you’re doing?

Take this anonymous assessment to check in on your mental health. You’ll get recommendations for next steps as well! This survey will take 10 minutes to complete.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can use services?

Services are open to all students on campus, whether you are an undergraduate student living on or off campus, a graduate student, or an online student.

Do I need a diagnosis to receive counseling?

No. We do provide additional support to individuals with existing mental health diagnoses, but our support services are very broad. Sometimes, students just need a neutral person to talk things through with, especially when they are away from home for the first time. 

What about confidentiality?

Student conversations with counselors are strictly confidential and the use of Counseling Services does not appear on student transcripts. Because of our confidentiality policy, information will not be shared (even with parents) without a proper signed release.

What if I need more than eight sessions?

We want to make sure you have all the resources you need. If you need more than eight sessions, we will help find you a referral that is a good fit for you. If you’re not sure where to start, come talk with us and we can help you sort it out.

Do I need an appointment?

You do need an appointment. You can request an appointment by filling out this form. One of our staff members will contact you via email in a few business days to schedule an appointment. We also send students links to online forms, so that they can complete intake paperwork in the privacy and comfort of their own space.

What does it cost? Do I need insurance?

Counseling is free of charge to enrolled Mount Mercy University students and no insurance information is utilized.

Who staffs MMU’s Counseling Services?

The office is led by the Director of Counseling Services who oversees graduate- and doctoral-level interns. Our interns have completed in-class training in counseling skills and applied clinical theories, and provide one-on-one counseling to students under the supervision of the Director of Counseling Services. We partner with the Olson Marriage & Family Therapy Clinic at Mount Mercy’s CRST International Graduate Center, and have utilized marriage and family therapy master’s students since January 2016.