Veteran Education Benefits

Certification of enrollment for the purpose of education benefits is a service provided by the Office of the Registrar. Students who plan to attend Mount Mercy while receiving any type of Veterans Education Benefits should follow the steps outlined below.

Steps to Receive Benefits

  • As part of the admissions process, veterans should submit a copy of their DD Form 214 to the Admissions Office and request a JST transcript. 

  • After you've submitted your DD Form 214 and official transcripts to the Admissions Office, you will receive a transfer evaluation of your prior military training and/or college according to the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Experience in the Armed Services and college academic policy. 

  • Once you've applied for admission to Mount Mercy, you should then submit your Department of Veterans Affairs Certificate of Eligibility to the Registrar's Office.

  • After you enroll in classes, the VA Certifying Official will submit your enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs each semester.

  • For more detailed step-by-step information on VA or Department of Defense benefits, please review our Military Benefits Guide

  • Please see the Mount Mercy Catalog for specific policies on transfer of credit, change in status due to military obligation, and return of tuition assistance. 

Related Information

Veterans may apply for financial assistance through the campus Financial Aid Office in addition to receiving Veterans Education Benefits. Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress each semester in order to remain eligible for payments.

The Veterans Administration will not pay for:

  • Courses you audit. 
  • Courses for which you receive a W grade. 
  • Courses you repeat if you have already received a passing grade (A, B, C, or D) in that course. However, you may repeat a course that you previously failed. 
  • Courses that are not part of your degree requirements. 
  • Appeals may be made if documentation can support the occurrence of special circumstances. 
  • Notify the Registrar's Office if you make a change in your major, course load, withdraw from classes or the college or change your address.