Dear Class of 2017:
The Commencement Committee is seeking applications from graduating students interested in speaking at the 2017 graduation ceremony. This opportunity is open to anyone graduating from Mount Mercy University this year, including (but not limited to) traditional undergraduate students, non-traditional undergraduate students, accelerated undergraduate and graduate level students.
Application instructions are as follows:
- Submit a detailed outline of your proposed speech (docx or PDF files preferred), along with your proposed opening paragraph, using this form.
- All materials due by Sunday, April 2, at 5 p.m.
- Submissions must be in an outline format and no more than two pages in length (docx or PDF files preferred).
- Submissions that include complete text of the speech will not be considered.
- Speech length will be limited to no more than five minutes.
- Please keep the following criteria in mind when drafting your outline:
- Reflections from your time at Mount Mercy and how the mission of the university has impacted your education.
- What you have learned both in and out of the classroom.
- Thanking those from the university and your family/friends who have supported your goal of graduating from Mount Mercy.
- Challenge your classmates to remain true to their commitments and responsibilities as Mount Mercy graduates.
- Look to the future and how each graduate can make a difference.
The committee will review all submissions anonymously and make a decision within two weeks of the deadline. Once a final candidate is chosen, a member of the committee will assist that student in preparing and practicing the final speech.
Questions can be directed to Corey Munson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 319-363-1323 ext. 1318.
Thank you for considering this opportunity. The sub-committee looks forward to your submissions.