Born in Welton, Iowa on November 10, 1893, Sister Mary Maura Marron completed high school in DeWitt, Iowa and later received a Bachelor’s degree in nursing from St. Louis University. Her graduate studies include a Masters in Psychology and Philosophy from St. Louis University, work at Creighton University, and classes at the Iowa State Teachers College. Marron finished additional nursing training at St. John’s Mercy Medical Center, St. Louis. She formally entered the Sisters of Mercy on August 14, 1913 and served as Major Superior of the Sisters while jointly appointed as president for the junior college.
Sister Mary Maura’s tenure with the campus is recognized for its tremendous work within the Sisters of Mercy. Marron established the Sisters’ first, formal novitiate and directed the revision of their constitutions. For the college, she initiated studies that would eventually lead to the North Central Association accreditation and established a building fund, clearly seeing the need for future structures in the quest to become a four-year institution.
Marron’s medical talents and expertise made her a natural leader within Iowa associations. She served as president of the Iowa League of Nursing Education, as a member of the Iowa Board of Nurse Examiners, and as president for the Board of Mercy Hospital, Cedar Rapids. Sister Mary Maura’s administration also saw the completion and dedication of the campus grotto in 1941. Marron died on February 27, 1976, remembered for her dedication to the Sisters of Mercy.