In support of faculty pursuing scholarly publishing, the Busse Library staff has assembled these resources for consultation and general information. Field-specific pages include a roster of top journals associated with the discipline, professional associations, applicable citation index details, and articles on how to publish in that arena.
The Arts and Humanities Citation Index (AHCI) is not included in the annual, ISI Journal Citation Reports (JCR) [citation impact factors]. Humanities impact factors also fail to acknowledge the role of books, monographs, and original works in scholarship. Criticism of humanities rankings also cites over-representation of titles in English and a lack of regional publications. Therefore, alternative ranking systems are provided as a major vehicle for study.
For scholars in literature and language, the following categories of information are offered:
Arts and Humanities Citation Index (AHCI): Subject Categories of Interest -- Alternative Citation Impact Systems: Music, Visual, and Performing Arts Rankings -- Discussions of Alternative Impact Systems and Bibliometrics in the Humanities -- Professional Associations: Music, Visual, and Performing Arts -- Open Access Journals and Open Access Collections: Music, Visual, and Performing Arts
- Art: AHCI: Thomson Reuters
- Dance: AHCI: Thomson Reuters
- Music: AHCI: Thomson Reuters
- Theater: AHCI: Thomson Reuters
- "Google Scholar -- A New Data Source for Citation Analysis." By Anne-Wil Harzing, University of Melbourne. (8th version, 20 December 2008).
- "Identifying Uniform Core Journal Titles for Music Libraries: A Dissertation Citation Study." By Lois Kuyper-Rushing. (March 1999). College and Research Libraries.
- "Maps on the Basis of the Arts and Humanities Citation Index: The Journals Leonardo and Art Journal and 'Digital Humanities' as a Topic." By Loet Leydesdorff and Alkim Almila Akdag Salah. (April 2010). Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology.
- Art Educators of Iowa (AEI)
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE)
- American Association of Community Theatre (AACT)
- College Art Association (CAA)
- Educational Theatre Association (EdTA)
- Iowa Alliance for Art Education (IAAE)
- The National Art Education Association (NAEA)
- The National Association for Music Education (MENC)
- Shakespeare Theatre Association of America (STAA)
- University/Resident Theatre Association (U/RTA)
- Arts (in General): Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- History of Arts: Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Music: Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Performing Arts: Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Visual Arts: Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- OAPEN: Open Access Publishing in European Networks -- model for academic books in humanities and social sciences
- Open Humanities Press -- select journals to see full offerings
- Project Bamboo -- sponsored by Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- re.press.org: Independent and Open Publishing -- academic publisher