A wide range of internships are available to political science majors and minors. These internships can be undertaken in the Cedar Rapids area or in Washington, D.C.
For students wanting practical experience or a chance to explore their interests in public service careers, the program offers a public service internship, in which you receive academic credit for supervised field training in public agencies. Political science students have completed public service internships in:
- US Congressional offices, the state legislature, and local government offices
- The courts
- Non-profit and grassroots organizations
- Campaign offices
- Government agencies
We are also very happy to offer students the opportunity to participate in a Washington DC, Summer Internship Program or Washington Semester Program available through American University. Students have had the opportunity to intern for such organizations as:
- the White House
- Congressional and Senate offices
- the Democratic National Committee
- the Republican National Committee
- federal courts
- various federal agencies and departments, think-tanks, and non-profit organizations.
Students enrolled in the program also complete a 3-credit course in a area of interest and have the opportunity to complete an additional research seminar. The program offers multiple opportunities to attend lectures and workshops with top academics and professionals in the field. The program also aims to help students indentify career opportunities and develop professional skills.