Founder’s Day, a cherished annual tradition held the day before classes begin each year, introduces new students to Mount Mercy’s mission, academic life and campus community. Students learn about the history of Mount Mercy, engage in activities and events, and come together to collectively embrace the spirit and essence of what it means to be a part of the Mount Mercy community.
As part of the festivities, new students will participate in the Founder’s Day Convocation, a traditional opening ceremony that introduces students to the story behind Mount Mercy’s founding and the rich heritage they will discover as students of a Mercy institution. Participants will have the opportunity to take the class pledge of integrity and dedication to learning, and will receive a class blessing from the Sisters of Mercy. Following the ceremony, students will collectively sign the Mount Mercy University Pledge, on display in the University Center, before greeting faculty members and taking part in one of their first student traditions, the signing of the tunnel walls. Founder’s Day concludes with a symbolic class tree planting ceremony outside, where students can leave a legacy which will continue to grow throughout their college career.
Welcome to all of our incoming freshmen and transfer students!
- 8:00 - 11:30 a.m. - Service Project to help the Cedar Rapids community
- 12-1 p.m. - Lunch
- 1-2 p.m. - Academic Network: Tips on how to succeed in the classroom
- 2:15-3 p.m. - Faculty advisor meetings
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. - Founders' Convocation, to be followed immediately by tunnel signing and class tree planting.
- 4:45-5:45 p.m. - Clubs and Organizations fair
- 6-7 p.m. - Dinner