MMU community spends Spring Break in Texas volunteering for hurricane relief

Mount Mercy University students, faculty and staff spent Spring Break 2018 in Texas responding to the still-heavy need for volunteers after Hurricane Harvey hit in August 2017.

Twenty-six Mount Mercy community members made the trip and spent March 18–24 in the Beaumont and Port Arthur areas dismantling houses and cleaning up neighborhoods.

“No matter how little we may think our work is, the people we do it for magnifies it 100 percent more,” said Jamarco Clark, MMU coordinator for volunteerism & service-learning. “It is really important to get out and give back to communities outside of our own.”

Junior Samantha Whalen agrees. “I think one of the biggest things I took from the trip was the overwhelming gratitude we received from the community of Beaumont,” she said. “While we were the light to many members of the community, they were the light to us in many more ways. I am so humbled to have spent my spring break the way I did—serving with love and joy.”

Volunteerism and service learning are cornerstones of a Mount Mercy education. By May 2018, Clark estimates the campus community will report at least 17,000 hours of service.

“Volunteering keeps our world running,” Clark said. “There are so many tasks that wouldn’t be completed if it weren’t for volunteers.”

Spring Break 2018

Share on...

Mount Mercy on...