Little Free Library dedicated outside MMU Graduate Center

Mount Mercy University’s CRST International Graduate Center was blessed this week with a Little Free Library, given by John and Jane Langer, along with their children Andria Gibson, Melissa Bienvenu and Adam Langer.

Little Free Libraries are a relatively new global phenomenon. Established in 2009, the book exchanges now number over 50,000 and are in all 50 states as well as 70 countries.

The family established the small, wooden library just outside of the Graduate Center in honor of John’s mother, Mary Jo Daly Langer, who passed away in 2013. This year marks what would have been her 100th birthday.

Mary Jo was an avid reader—reading about two books per week—and passionate in sharing her love of literature.

“My dad and I had planned to donate 100 books for my grandmother’s 100th birthday,” said Andria, Mary Jo’s granddaughter. “While searching for a place to donate the books, I became inspired reading stories of others that had started Little Free Libraries.”

The Library was dedicated on Tuesday, Sept. 26 with family and neighbors in attendance. Stocked with a few of Mary Jo’s favorite books, the family hopes fellow community members enjoy the new neighborhood monument.

“We love the notion of fostering the neighborhood spirit around Mount Mercy’s Graduate Center,” John said. “It’s a great way to give a little something back, and being able to do something to honor my Mom—especially since she attended Mount Mercy back in the 1930’s.”

For more information on Little Free Library, visit littlefreelibrary.org.

Langer Family

Share on...

Mount Mercy on...