CBJ 5Q | Nate Klein

This article originally appeared in the Sept. 4–10, 2017 edition of Corridor Business Journal. [pdf
It has been republished with permission.

PHOTO: EMILY BETTRIDGE

NATHAN KLEIN

Assistant Professor of Business, Mount Mercy University

1. What areas of business do you teach, and what do you find most interesting?

I have the honor of coordinating our management degree at Mount Mercy University and teaching the capstone course for all business students. I also enjoy teaching topics such as the Foundations of Servant Leadership, International Management and Personal Financial Management. What I find most interesting is actually after the classes are over, when alumni will send me a letter or stop to talk about the positive impact a class has had on their personal or professional life—that’s where the magic happens.

1. What observations do you have about the next generation of business students coming up?

Every semester students are asked to give a presentation on what itmeans to lead a courageous life. I am inspired by the grit of students to overcome so many obstacles and their commitment to causes in their communities. They care about life/work balance, and like generations gone before, they want to know that they are making a difference at work and in the community.

1. What would most people be surprised to learn about you?

My wife Jenny and I love to travel, having visited 33 countries and all Seven Wonders of the World. It’s because of this love for travel that we chose to adopt internationally. We will adventure to Ethiopia this fall to pick up our little girl, Ellary Tigist, so she can join her sister, Lily, whom we adopted in June 2016.

1. What do you know now that you wish you had known earlier in your career?

Follow your passion, not your pension. It’s OK to say “no” and walk away from great things to spend your time, talent and treasure on truly amazing things that will make a difference in your life and the lives of others.

1. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?

I have a long-term goal of becoming president at my alma mater, Mount Mercy University. This is the place where I first learned what it meant to be a servant leader. That said, if National Geographic gives me a call to photograph the world on their budget, I might take a sabbatical for that!

Share on...

Mount Mercy on...