Mount Mercy students volunteer in New Orleans

Mount Mercy University students are heading to New Orleans during winter break to participate in service work and hurricane recovery. More than ten students and two Campus Ministry staff members will be participating in the service trip, which is the sixth annual trip Mount Mercy students have made to aid in hurricane relief.   

The team will work in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans, one of the poorest areas and hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina. Students will work on a variety of tasks with Hands On New Orleans, a non-profit organization that hosts citizens from around the world as they take action through service to meet critical community needs.

“I have always been a compassionate person and have a real passion for wanting to serve others,” says senior Ashley Benter, from Mount Vernon, Iowa. “I've always wanted to go on one of the Hurricane Help trips and this year I finally got the chance. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to serve others as well as getting to know other Mount Mercy students in the process!”

Students will take off January 26 and return February 1. 

Share on...

Mount Mercy on...