The University House is a 6,800-square-foot stucco house, located in the historic Brucemore neighborhood, purchased by Mount Mercy in July 2006 as the president's permanent residence. Notable for its architectural significance, the house's leaded glass windows were created by Iowa artist Grant Wood.
The University House in Cedar Rapids began its life in the early 1900s when the land on which the house sits was platted. The home was built in 1921 by the Cherry family. The Cherry family were long-time supporters of Mount Mercy. Betty Cherry, wife of Howard Cherry, served the institution for 33 years as a trustee. Betty Cherry Heritage Hall is named in her honor. The desk located in the president's home office was Howard Cherry’s desk when he lived there and the desk was returned to the residence in 2006.
The home hosts university functions on the main floor. The second and third floors serve as private quarters for the President and family.
Hosted activities include:
- Cabinet meetings
- Faculty, student, alumni, trustee and community receptions
- Holiday and neighborhood parties and events
If you have questions or comments, please contact the Office of the President by email at email@example.com or call us at 319-368-6464.