This position reports to the Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life and is responsible for developing, implementing and managing campus safety and security programs and services for the Mount Mercy University community (students, faculty, staff, guests, and visitors) including but not limited to security, environmental health and safety, fire safety, emergency management, crime prevention, parking management and key control. The Director of Public Safety has a considerable impact on the learning environment and the satisfaction of all students; and plays a role in their retention and graduation. This position provides vision and supervision for the staff in public safety. It is essential that the person in this position be an excellent supervisor and planner in order to be able to coordinate all public safety operations on 24-hours a day, 7 days a week basis. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Develop, implement and provide leadership for a strategic vision for public safety.
- Analyze, make decisions, and assume responsibility for the safety and security plan for the campus community on a 24-hour per day and seven days a week basis. Security plan includes determining public safety personnel schedules, determining appropriate security response to incidents, monitoring and protecting facilities and assets, reporting incidents, investigating incidents and following through with the Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life and law enforcement authorities, managing the campus during emergency situations, and monitoring the campus during inclement weather and other periods when the University is closed.
- Recruit, hire, set direction for and supervise staff. Oversee the staff’s initial and on-going professional development and training. Provide evaluation and feedback for staff members on a regular basis. Coordinate activities within the department by conducting regularly scheduled meetings with staff members. Supervise the work of student staff members through the work of the professional staff.
- Enforces state laws and the Student Code of Conduct of the University at all campus locations, which may include making a determination to immediately remove an individual from campus.
- Respond to incidents on campus, determine actions to take, and document complete written record of the incidents to meet federal and University reporting requirements.
- Maintain Clery Act and other Federal, State, and local reports relative to all public safety compliance regulations that must be met by the University.
- Work with the Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life to create a response procedure and coordinate a response team who will deal with campus emergencies relating to students. This includes maintaining a working relationship with community agencies (e.g., the Cedar Rapids Police and Fire, Mercy and Unity Point Hospitals, etc.).
- Provide training and information for faculty, staff and students on public safety related issues.
- Coordinate access, security and monitoring of all University facilities, buildings, and classrooms.
- Evaluate weekly the operation of security devices and equipment at all campuses and ensure all appropriate repairs are made as needed.
- Attend meetings of the residence life staff and maintain close contact with residence hall graduate assistants and resident assistants.
- Supervise the patrol areas of buildings, parking lots, and grounds to assure safety and security of students, faculty, staff, guests, visitors, and other persons on University property to provide safety and security of University property and grounds. This includes managing any incident of visitor, driver, or employee actions which could result in injury or lost to the University or employee.
- Supervise or make scheduled tours of buildings and grounds by vehicle or walking to ensure security, and watch for conditions that could result in injury or loss due to fire, water leakage, spills, or sewer backup.
- Manage the budget process in student services. Insure that budgets are appropriate for goals and functions of particular areas in student services.
- Create, implement, and administer an effective Safety Committee.
- Maintain current certifications and training.
- Be familiar with the Federal Right to Privacy Act and abide by the Act maintaining confidentiality in all matters concerning students, faculty and staff only providing information on a need to know basis.
- Perform other duties and tasks as appropriately assigned which contribute to achieving the goals of the student services departments in particular and the well-being of the University in general.
We are seeking a professional with at least three years of relevant experience and training. Experience working with college or university students including experience in one or more student services areas along with student disciplinary matters is preferred. A bachelor’s degree is required. A master’s degree is preferred.
The successful candidate will possess outstanding interpersonal skills and be an excellent communicator with the ability to relate well with persons from a broad range of backgrounds. This person will have knowledge of federal and state regulations related to higher education and the legal issues related to public safety. The person in this role should also have a thorough understanding of conflict resolution procedures. Finally, this person will have the ability to work effectively as a member of a staff where cooperation and teamwork are essential.
The successful candidate must also demonstrate a willingness to support Mount Mercy’s mission as a Catholic university providing student-focused education in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy. Mount Mercy University welcomes those of different faiths and is committed to excellence in education and community service.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your cover letter (including salary requirements), resume, and at least 3 professional references as Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat attachments to: email@example.com with the subject line “Director of Public Safety”. Paper applications will not be accepted. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Mount Mercy University is an equal opportunity employer and smoke-free campus.