Busse Library provides this website as a resource for students and faculty researching literature's major authors. Based upon the book, The Literary 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Novelists, Playwrights, and Poets of All Time by Daniel S. Burt (New York: Facts on File, 2001), the project offers full listings by ranking and through a name index.
Specialized pages offer women writers, American authors, United Kingdom authors, and world authors grouped by continent. Developed solely for this website, additional project resources include significant authors in children's literature and a compilation of other "top 100" literature projects.
Each author's entry includes online biographical research and landmarks, scholarly resources, major works online, and Busse Library offerings for the novelist, dramatist, or poet.
This project, and its inspiration, develop from a tradition to select the world's most important authors who made a lasting contribution to literature and to compile a selection of history's most significant published texts in fiction and nonfiction.
The Authors, By Ranking:
- Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964) 
- Catullus (c.84-c.54 B.C.) 
- Federico Garcia Lorca (1898-1936) 
- Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864) 
- Theodore Dreiser (1871-1945) 
- Ralph Ellison (1914-1994) 
- Anthony Trollope (1815-1882) 
- F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940) 
- Victor Hugo (1802-1885) 
- Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941) 
- "Everything that Rises Must Converge." -- full text
- "Good Country People." -- full text online
- "A Good Man is Hard to Find." -- full text of author's classic story
- Comforts of Home: A Repostitory of Flannery O'Connor Information
- The Flannery O'Connor Collection: Georgia College and State University (GCSU)
- "Nature and Grace: Flannery O'Connor and the Healing of Southern Culture." By Danny Duncan Collum. Sojouners (23.10) (1994-1995)
- Perspectives in American Literature (PAL): Flannery O'Connor
- "'Tin Jesus': The Intellectual in Selected Short Fiction of Flannery O'Connor." By Jason P. Mitchell. c1995. (University of Mississippi).
- The Aesthetics of Incongruity: The Tortured Existence of Flannery O'Connor -- details health problems
- The Flannery O'Connor Andalusia Foundation -- farm and long-time home in Milledgeville, Georgia
- Flannery O'Connor: Books and Writers -- detailed biography
- Flannery O'Connor Childhood Home (Savannah, GA)
Busse Library Resources on O'Connor
- Asals, Frederick. Flannery O'Connor , the imagination of extremity / c1982. PS3565.C57 Z52 1982
- Gentry, Marshall Bruce. Flannery O'Connor's religion of the grotesque / c1986. PS3565.C57 Z675 1986
- Grimshaw, James A. The Flannery O'Connor companion / 1981. PS3565.C57 Z68
- Martin, Carter W. The true country; themes in the fiction of Flannery O'Connor /  PS3565.C57 Z77
- Montgomery, Marion. Why Flannery O'Connor stayed home / c1981. PS3565.C57 Z787 1981
- O'Connor, Flannery. Conversations with Flannery O'Connor / c1987. PS3565.C57 Z464 1987.
- O'Connor, Flannery. A good man is hard to find, and other stories /  PS3565.C57 G6x
- Catullus: The Major Works. Ed. Leonard C. Smithers. Project Perseus. -- English translations
- Catullus Translations: Gaius Vallerius Catullus -- 540 poems available in 25 different languages
- The Collected Works of Catullus: Project Libellus: University of Washington -- Latin only verse
- C. Valerius Catullus. By John Porter, University of Saskatchewan.
- Catullus Concordance
- Catullus: The Poems --features first lines
- Links for the Study of Catullus. By Alison W. Barker.
- Catullus: Academy of American Poets -- biography and featured works
- Catullus -- detailed biography
Federico Garcia Lorca
- Federico Garcia Lorca: Poemhunter.com -- view 35 poem texts in English
- "Lament for Ignacio Sanchez Mejias." -- full text of classic work with short biography
- Federico Garcia Lorca: Questia -- pathfinder of resources
- Federico Garcia Lorca: A Study Guide. By David Richard Jones and Susan Jones. The Spanish Repetory Theater (NYC).
- Federico Garcia Lorca -- short biography with five poems
- Federico Garcia Lorca: Academy of American Poets -- biography and poetry collection
- Federico Garcia Lorca: Books and Writers -- detailed biography
- The Federico Garcia Lorca Foundation (Madrid, Spain)
Busse Library Resources on Garcia Lorca
- Block, Haskell M. Masters of modern drama /  PN6112. B48
- Garcia Lorca, Federico. Five plays; comedies and tragicomedies / [c1963] PQ6613.A763 A275
- Garcia Lorca, Federico. The gypsy ballads of Federico Garcia Lorca: with 3 historical ballads / c1953. PQ6613.A763 P72
- Garcia Lorca, Federico. Selected poems /  PQ6613.A763 A17 1955
- Nathaniel Hawthorne: Eldritch Press -- complete major works online
- The Scarlet Letter: Annotated Edition. Eldritch Press.
- The Scarlet Letter: The Classic Text: Traditions and Interpretations -- exhibition by University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
- Melville and Hawthorne -- details and letters from authors' friendship
- Nathaniel Hawthorne: Bicenntial Exhibition at the Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem (MA)
- Nathaniel Hawthorne Collection: Special Collection and Archives, Bowdoin College (Brunswick, Maine)
- The Nathaniel Hawthorne Review
- The Nathaniel Hawthorne Society: University of Cincinnati
- Perspectives in American Literature: Nathaniel Hawthorne -- extensive bibliography
- Hawthorne's Boyhood Home: Raymond, Maine
- The House of Seven Gables Historic Site
- Nathaniel Hawthorne -- biography from Heath Anthology of American Literature (4th ed.)
- Nathaniel Hawthorne in Salem (MA) -- historic tour
- Nathaniel Hawthorne's Birthplace: Salem, Massachusetts
- The Old Manse National Historic Site: Concord, MA
- The Wayside: Concord (MA) Home of Hawthorne
Busse Library Resources on Hawthorne
- Elder, Marjorie J. Nathaniel Hawthorne, transcendental symbolist / 1969. Ps1888 .E4
- Fogle, Richard Harter. Hawthorne's fiction: the light & the dark /  PS1888 .F6 1964
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel. Notes of travel / c1900. PS1850 .F00 v.19-22
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel. The scarlet letter: an authoritative text, essays in criticism / 1988. PS1868.A2 G76 1988
- Kesterson, David B. Critical essays on Hawthorne's The scarlet letter / 1988. PS1868 .C75 1988
- McPherson, Hugo. Hawthorne as myth-make: a study in imagination /  PS 1888 .M25
- Turner, Arlin. Nathaniel Hawthorne, a biography / 1980. PS 1881. T79
- Waggoner, Hyatt Howe. Hawthorne: a critical study / 1963. PS1888. W3 1963
- The Financier -- full text provided by Project Gutenberg
- Sister Carrie -- full, searchable text at the University of Pennsylvania
- Sister Carrie -- full text offered by Project Gutenberg
- Dreiser on the Web: Scholarly Studies. By Roger W. Smith -- directory of resources
- Dreiser Studies
- Dreiser WebSource: Library, University of Pennsylvania
- A Guide to the Theodore Dreiser Collection: Special Collections, University of Virginia
- International Theodore Dreiser Society
- Perspectives in American Literature (PAL): Theodore Dreiser
- "Theodore Dreiser's Private Library." By Roark Mulligan. University of Pennsylvania.
- Theodore Dreiser Bibliography: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
- Theodore Dreiser Papers: Indiana Historical Society
- "Biography of Theodore Dreiser." By Thomas P. Riggio. c2000, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- "Dreiser's Life: The Rest of the Story." By Frederick C. Stern. Illinois Issues 28 (July 1991) -- review of Lingeman biography
- Theodore Dreiser: Books and Writers -- detailed biography
Busse Library Resources on Dreiser
- Dreiser, Theodore. The stoic / Theodore Dreiser; introduction by Richard Lingeman / 1981, c1947. PS3507 .R55 S8 1981
- Gogol, Miriam. Theodore Dreiser beyond naturalism / c1995. PS3507.R55 Z848 1995eb
- Matthiessen, F.O. Theodore Dreiser /  PS3507.R55 Z7
- McAleer, John J. Theodore Dreiser; an introduction and intepretation /  PS3507.R55 Z68
- Pizer, Donald. Theodore Dreiser: a primary and secondary bibliography /  Ps3507.R55 Z72x
- West, James L.W. A Sister Carrie portfolio / 1985. Ps 3507.R55 S597 1985 q
- "'Man Underground': Review of Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man." By Saul Bellow. Commentary (June 1952): 608-610.
- Perspectives in American Literature (PAL): Ralph Ellison
- Ralph Ellison, 1914-1994. By Pauline Caudle, Naomi Lancaster, and Andy Stamper. -- pathfinder from University of North Carolina at Pembroke
- "Ralph Ellison as Proletarian Journalist." By Barbara Foley. Rutgers University.
- Ralph Ellison Webliography. By Claude Henry Potts. cUCLA, Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.
- "Review of Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man." By Irving Howe. The Nation (May 10, 1952) -- landmark review of novel's first chapter that signaled novel's impact
- American Masters (PBS): Ralph Ellison: An American Journey.
- Ralph Ellison: Books and Writers -- detailed biography
- The Ralph Ellison Jazz Project: Jerry Jazz Musician
Busse Library Resources on Ellison
- McSweeney, Kerry. Invisible man: race and identity / c1988. PS3555.L625 I5355 1988
- Nadel, Alan. Invisible criticism: Ralph Ellison and the American canon / 1988. PS3555.L625 I5358 1988
- O'Meally, Robert G. The craft of Ralph Ellison / 1980. PS3555.L625 Z8
- Reilly, John M. Twentieth century interpretations of Invisible man /  PS3555.L625 I537
- Novels of Anthony Trollope: Arthur's Classic Novels -- view 25 novels online
- Trollope's Short Stories: Trollope on the Net. -- thorough listing maintained by Jim and Ellen Moody
- Chronology of Anthony Trollope's Writing Life. By Jim and Ellen Moody.
- Trollope Hyper-Concordance: Victorian Literary Studies Archive. By Mitsuharu Matsuoka, Nagoya University, Japan.
- The Trollope Society: London
- The Trollope Society: New York
- Trollope: A Website Devoted to Anthony Trollope and His Contemporaries. By Michael A. Powe, c1996-2004.
- The Victorian Web: Anthony Trollope
- Anthony Trollope: Books and Writers -- detailed biography
- Anthony Trollope, British Novelist. By Jim and Ellen Moody. -- biography with links to illustrations and essays
Busse Library Resources on Trollope
- Edwards, Peter David. Anthony Trollope, his art and scope / 1977. PR5687 .E3
- Hall, N. John. Trollope: a biography / 1991. PR5686 .M85 1996
- McMaster, Juliet. Trollope's Palliser novels : theme and pattern / 1978. PR5687 .M3
- Mullen, Richard. The Penguin companion to Trollope / 1996. PR5686.M85 1996
- Terry, R.C. Anthony Trollope: the artist in hiding / 1977. PR5687 .T4 1977
F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Beautiful and the Damned.: Project Gutenberg.
- Flappers and Philosophers.: Project Gutenberg
- Tales of the Jazz Age: Project Gutenberg.
- This Side of Paradise: Bartleby.com -- full text online
- Writings by Fitzgerald: University of South Carolina -- features short stories and This Side of Paradise
- Bibliography: F. Scott Fitzgerald Society -- extensive listings
- Bibliography of the Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- "Centers of Interest in The Great Gatsby": A Reader's Companion Site." By Wayne Crawford. c2000.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald Centenary: University of South Carolina -- online exhibit
- F. Scott Fitzgerald Papers: Princeton University
- The F. Scott Fitzgerald Society
- Featured Artist: F. Scott Fitzgerald: Books: New York Times -- view reviews and articles via free registration
- Perspectives in American Literature (PAL): F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Biographies: F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald: "The Sensible Thing": PBS -- documentary on couple
- F. Scott Fitzgerald Walking Tour: St. Paul, Minnesota
- "F. Scott Fitzgerald's Home Becomes a Landmark." By Greta Cunningham. Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) [9/24/2004]
- Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum: Montgomery, Alabama
- The Legend of Zelda -- exploration into wife's mental illness
Busse Library Resources on Fitzgerald
- Bruccoli, Matthew Joseph. F. Scott Fitzgerald in his own time /  PS3511 .I9 Z559
- Fitzgerald, F. Scott. The letters of F. Scott Fitzgerald /  PS3511 .I9 Z54
- LaHood, Marvin J. Tender is the night; essays in criticism /  PS3511. I9 T47 1969
- Lockridge, Ernest. Twentieth century interpretations of The great Gatsby /  PS3511. I9 G86
- Miller, James Edwin. F. Scott Fitzgerald, his art and his technique / 1964. PS3511. I9 Z688
- Mizener, Arthur. The far side of paradise: a biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald / 1951. PS3511.I9 Z7
- The Memoirs of Victor Hugo: Project Gutenberg
- Victor Hugo: The Free Library -- biography and full text of Hunchback of Notre Dame online
- Victor Hugo: Online Literature Network -- offers Les Miserables and The Hunchback of Notre Dame online
- "The France of Victor Hugo." History 255: Mt. Holyoke College. By Robert Schwartz. -- course website
- "Victor Hugo." From The Drama: Its History, Literature, and Influence on Civilization. (v.9) (ed. Alfred Bates) London, 1906. (pp.11-13)
- Victor Hugo, 2002: A Bicentennial Celebration: National Department of Arts and Culture, France
- Victor Hugo Central -- gateway to texts and criticism
- Victor Hugo: National Library of France
- The Victor Hugo Papers: John Rylands University Library of Manchester (UK)
- The Victor Hugo Society
- The Victor Hugo Website -- gateway to resources and texts
- House of Victor Hugo (1832-1848): Paris, France
- Victor Hugo: Books and Writers -- detailed biography
- Victor Hugo Drawings: The Roland Collection of Films and Video on Art
- Victor Hugo: The Guernsey Islands -- author retreat
Busse Library Resources on Hugo
- Hugo, Victor. Les miserables /  PQ2286 .A1 1951
- Hugo, Victor. The romances of Victor Hugo / c1887-c1894. PQ2279.E88x
- Maurois, Andre. Victor Hugo and his world /  PQ2293 .M36 1966
- Robb, Graham. Victor Hugo / c1997. PQ2293 .R54 1997
- Gitanjali: Song Offerings. Translation from original Bengali. (ed. Ralph Losey)
- Gitanjali: Song Offerings. (1912,1913) -- full text offered by Eldritch Press.
- "Once There Was a King." (1916) -- Tagore short story
- Selected Poetry of Rabindranath Tagore: Representative Poetry Online (RPO)
- "Tumi Sandhyara Meghamala": Spanish and English Translations by Pablo Neruda.
- Nobel Prize for Literature, 1913: Rabindranath Tagore
- O'Connell, Kathleen M. "Rabindranath Tagore on Education." Infed Encyclopedia. c2003.
- "Rabindranath Tagore: Sadhaka of Universal Man, Baul of Infinite Songs." By Monish R. Chatterjee. c1991. -- biographical and critical study
- Rabindranath Tagore: CalcuttaWeb.com (c2002) -- dense biography with accompanying images
- Rabindranath Tagore: Books and Writers -- detailed biography
- TIME ASIA100: Rabindranath Tagore. (Aug. 23-30, 1999) (v.154, no. 7/8) -- detailed biography
Busse Library Resources on Tagore
- Tagore, Rabindranath. Gitanjali (song offerings) a collection of prose translations / 1926. PK1771 .E5x
- Tagore, Rabindranath. Paper boats / 1992. j 891 Tag7