Busse Library provides this website as a resource for students and faculty researching literature's major authors. Based upon the book, The Literary 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Novelists, Playwrights, and Poets of All Time by Daniel S. Burt (New York: Facts on File, 2001), the project offers full listings by ranking and through a name index.
Specialized pages offer women writers, American authors, United Kingdom authors, and world authors grouped by continent. Developed solely for this website, additional project resources include significant authors in children's literature and a compilation of other "top 100" literature projects.
Each author's entry includes online biographical research and landmarks, scholarly resources, major works online, and Busse Library offerings for the novelist, dramatist, or poet.
This project, and its inspiration, develop from a tradition to select the world's most important authors who made a lasting contribution to literature and to compile a selection of history's most significant published texts in fiction and nonfiction.
The Authors, By Ranking:
- Alexander Pope (1688-1744) 
- Francois Rabelais (c.1494-1553) 
- Francesco Petrarch (1304-1374) 
- Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) 
- Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) 
- Henry Fielding (1707-1754) 
- Joseph Conrad (1857-1924) 
- Robert Browning (1812-1889) 
- Albert Camus (1913-1960) 
- Charlotte Bronte (1816-1855) 
- An Essay on Criticism. Poetry Collection: EServer.org
- The Life of Pope. By Samuel Johnson. Ed. Jack Lynch, Rutgers University
- Rape of the Lock Home Page: University of Massachusetts -- texts and criticism
- Selected Poetry Online: Alexander Pope -- offers The Duncaid, An Essay on Criticism, and The Rape of the Lock
- Alexander Pope: An Overview: The Victorian Web -- gateway to research
- Alexander Pope: Books and Writers -- detailed biography
- Alexander Pope: Catholic Encyclopedia
- Alexander Pope: Royal Berkshire History
- Alexander Pope's Grotto: Twickenham, England
- St. Mary's Church, Twickenham: Alexander Pope's Burial Site
Busse Library Resources on Pope
- Blanshard, Rufus A. Discussions of Alexander Pope /  PR3634 .B5
- Dixon, Peter. Alexander Pope / 1972. PR3634 .D5 1972b
- Dobree, Bonamy. Alexander Pope /  PR3633 .D6 1952
- Erskine-Hill, Howard. The social milieu of Alexander Pope / 1975. PR3633 .E7
- Lopez, Cecilia Louise. Alexander Pope; an annotated bibliography / 1970. PR3632 .L6x
- Pope, Alexander. The poetical works of Alexander Pope / 1907. PR3620 .F07
- Quennell, Peter. Alexander Pope; the education of genius /  PR3633 .Q4
- Spacks, Patricia Ann Meyer. An argument of images; the poetry of Alexander Pope / 1971. PR3638 .S7
- Gargantua and Pantagruel: Project Gutenberg
- Gargantua and Pantagruel Illustrated: Project Gutenberg
- Great Books Index: Francois Rabelais
- "Letter from Gargantua to his Son Pantagruel." Translated by Paul Brians.
- Pantagruelion: The Third Book of the Heroic Deeds and Words of Good Pantagruel (1552)
- Francois Rabelais: Library of Congress Citations
- Francois Rabelais: Books and Writers -- strong biography
- Francois Rabelais: Catholic Encyclopedia
Busse Library Resources on Rabelais
- Bowen, Barbara C. Enter Rabelais, laughing / c1998. PQ1694 .B63 1998eb
- Rabelais, Francois. The portable Rabelais / 1946. PQ1685.E5 P83
- "The Ascent of Mount Ventoux." Petrarch. Medieval Sourcebook.
- The Petrarchan Grotto -- gateway to all major texts offered in Latin and Italian
- Selected Letters, 1372. Petrarch.
- Francesco Petrarch and Laura deNoves
- Petrarch Academy of Arts and Sciences: Arrezo, Tuscany -- center located in poet's native house (Italian only)
- Petrarch: Sample Pages: National Central Library of Rome (Italy)
- Petrarch Resources: Internet Medieval Sourcebook
- Petrarch's House: Via dell'Orto, Arrezo, Tuscany
- "Francesco Petrarch: A Biography." By Peter Sadlon. c1999-2004.
- Francesco Petrarch: Catholic Encyclopedia
- Petrarch: Books and Writers -- strong profile
Busse Library Resources on Petrarch
- Petrarca, Francesco. The sonnets of Petrarch /  PQ4477.A22 B4 q
- Wilkins, Ernest Hatch. Life of Petrarch /  PQ4505 .W5 1961
- Emily Dickinson: The Complete Poems. Boston: Little Brown, 1924. Bartleby.com -- 597 texts
- Selected Poetry of Emily Dickinson: Representative Poetry Online -- 23 poem texts
- Dickinson Electronic Archives: University of Virginia
- Emily Dickinson Bulletin: University of Colorado at Boulder
- Emily Dickinson International Society
- Emily Dickinson Journal: University of Colorado at Boulder
- Modern American Poetry: Emily Dickinson
- Perspectives in American Literature (PAL): Emily Dickinson. By Paul P. Reuben.
- Emily Dickinson: Academy of American Poets -- narrative and 11 poem texts
- Emily Dickinson: Books and Writers
- Emily Dickinson Museum: The Homestead and The Evergreens: Amherst, Massachusetts
- Virtual Emily -- tour through landmarks and family history
Busse Library Resources on Dickinson
- Barker, Wendy. Lunacy of light: Emily Dickinson and the experience of metaphor / [1991?] PS1541.Z5 B28 1991
- Blake, Caesar R. The recognition of Emily Dickinson: selected criticism since 1890 / 1968, c1964. PS1541.Z5 B55 1968
- Bloom, Harold. Emily Dickinson / 1985. PS1541 .Z5 E38 1985
- Dickinson, Emily. Bolts of melody; new poems of Emily Dickinson / 1945. PS1541 .A137
- Ford, Thomas W. Heaven beguiles the tired; death in the poetry of Emily /  PS1541 .Z5 F6
- Juhasz, Suzanne. Feminist critics read Emily Dickinson / c1983. PS1541.Z5 F36 1983
- Mudge, Jean McClure. Emily Dickinson and the image of home / 1975. PS1541 .Z5 M8
- Pickard, John B. Emily Dickinson: an introduction and interpretation /  PS1541.Z5 P5
- Sewall, Richard Benson. Emily Dickinson; a collection of critical essays /  PS1541.Z5 S4
Edgar Allan Poe
- Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe: The EServer
- Poe's Essays, Sketches, and Letters: Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore -- full collection with publishing variances
- Poe's Poems: Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore -- complete directory offering publishing history of each work
- Poe's Tales: Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore -- complete collection with publishing histories and variances
- Selected Poetry of Edgar Allan Poe: Representative Poetry Online -- texts of most famous works
- Edgar Allan Poe Review: Poe Studies Association
- Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore
- Letters of Edgar Allan Poe: A Digital Archive at the University of Virginia
- Poe Studies Association: Modern Language Association
- Poe Studies/Dark Romanticism. Washington State University
- "A Poe Webliography: Edgar Allan Poe on the Internet." By Heyward Ehrlich. Poe Studies/Dark Romanticism 30 (1997): 1-26.
- Raven Society at the University of Virginia
- Edgar Allan Poe at the University of Virginia: Raven Society -- details student history
- Edgar Allan Poe Museum: Richmond, Virginia
- Edgar Allan Poe's Room: University of Virginia
- Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site: Philadelphia (PA)
Busse Library Resources on Poe
- Budd, Louis J. On Poe / 1993. PS2638.O5 1993
- Carlson, Eric W. The recognition of Edgar Allan Poe; selected criticism since 1829 /  PS2638 .C34
- Davidson, Edward H. Poe, a critical study / 1957. PS2638 .D3
- Fruit, John Phelps. The mind and art of Poe's poetry / 1899. PS2638 .F7
- Kennedy, J. Gerald. A historical guide to Edgar Allan Poe / 2001. PS2638 .H54 2001
- Kennedy, J. Gerald. Romancing the shadow: Poe and race / 2001. PS2642.R25 R66 2001
- Ketterer, David. The rationale of deception in Poe / c1979. PS2638 .K45
- Rosenheim, Shawn. The American face of Edgar Allan Poe / 1995. PS2638 .A55 1995
- Whitman, Sarah Helen Power. Edgar Poe and his critics / 1966. PS2631 .W5 1966
- Amelia. By Henry Fielding. Project Gutenberg.
- Henry Fielding: Bartleby.com -- offers full text of The History of Tom Jones: A Foundling
- Henry Fielding: A Memoir. By G.M. Godden Project Gutenberg
- The History of the Life of the Late Mr. Jonathan Wild the Great. By Henry Fielding. Project Gutenberg.
- The History of Tom Jones: A Foundling. Project Gutenberg.
- Joseph Andrews, Vol. I. Project Gutenberg.
- Henry Fielding: Library of Congress Citations
- Henry Fielding's Joseph Andrews: A Resource Page from Kingwood College Library (Kingwood, Texas)
- Henry Fielding: Books and Writers
- Henry Fielding: Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed., 2001. Bartleby.com
- Henry Fielding: The Literary Encyclopedia -- detailed biography
Busse Library Resources on Fielding
- Battestin, Martin C. The moral basis of Fielding's art; a study of Joseph Andrews /  PR3454.J67 B3
- Bissell, Frederick Olds. Fielding's theory of the novel / 1969. PR3457 .B5 1969
- Hahn, H. George. Henry Fielding: an annotated bibliography / 1979. PR3458 .H33
- Hutchens, Eleanor Newman. Irony in Tom Jones / . PR3454.H7 H8
- Paulson, Ronald. Fielding; a collection of critical essays /  PR3457 .P3
- Varey, Simon. Henry Fielding / 1986. PR3457 .V37 1986
- Wright, Andrew H. Henry Fielding, mask and feast / 1966. PR3457 .W7 1966
- Joseph Conrad: The Literature Network -- offers full texts of LOrd Jim, Nostromo, Heart of Darkness, and The Secret Agent.
- Nostromo Online: The Annotated Nostromo Text. By Matthew Waller.
- OnLine Books Page: Joseph Conrad -- directory to online texts
- Short Stories of Joseph Conrad: ReadBookOnline.net -- offering 24 stories
- Center for Conrad Studies: Kent State University (OH)
- Conrad Concepts Index -- newsletter on scholarly publishing developments
- Conradiana -- scholarly journal from Texas Tech University
- A Hyper-Concordance to the Works of Joseph Conrad: Victorian Literary Studies Archive
- The Joseph Conrad Foundation
- Joseph Conrad: Overview: The Victorian Web
- Joseph Conrad Society (UK)
- Joseph Conrad Society of America
- Joseph Conrad Biography: Joseph Conrad Study Center, Opole, Poland -- offers family photos
- Joseph Conrad: Books and Writers
Busse Library Resource on Conrad
- Baines, Jocelyn. Joseph Conrad, a critical biography /  PR6005.O4 Z554
- Cox, C.B. Joseph Conrad, the modern imagination / 1974. PR6005.O4 Z585 1974
- Curle, Richard. Joseph Conrad and his characters; a study of six novels / [1968, c1957] PR6005 .O4 Z615 1968
- Ford, Ford Madox. Joseph Conrad: a personal remembrance / 1989, c1924. PR6005.O4 Z72 1989
- Fraser, Gail. Interweaving patterns in the works of Joseph Conrad / c1988. PR6005.O4 Z7227 1988
- Hay, Eloise Knapp. The political novels of Joseph Conrad, a critical study /  PR6005.O4 Z743
- Karl, Frederick Robert. A reader's guide to Joseph Conrad /  PR6005.O4 Z76
- Najder, Zdzisw. Joseph Conrad, a chronicle / c1983. PR6005.O4 Z7844313 1983
- Said, Edward W. Joseph Conrad and the fiction of autobiography / 1966. PR6005.O4 Z792
- The Life and Letters of Robert Browning. Project Gutenberg.
- The Pied Piper of Hamlin. By Robert Browning. Illustrated by Kate Greenaway (1888). -- full text and illustrations
- Selected Poetry of Robert Browning: Representative Poetry Online -- 41 full texts
- Academy of American Poets: Robert Browning -- biography, bibliography, and poem texts
- Armstrong Browning Library: Baylor University -- dedicated to Browning research
- Browning Hypermedia Page: University of Tennessee at Martin. By Glenn Everett. -- hypertext versions of master poems
- The Brownings: A Research Guide: Armstrong Browning Library
- An Introduction to the Study of Robert Browning's Poetry. By Robert Browning. Project Gutenberg.
- Robert Browning: An Overview: The Victorian Web
- The Browning Pages. By Matthew Jolly -- detailed biographies and bibliographies
- The Life of Robert Browning. By William Sharp. Project Gutenberg.
- The Literary Encyclopedia: Robert Browning -- detailed biopgraphy
- Robert Browning: Books and Writers
- Robert Browning. By G.K. Chesterton. Project Gutenberg. -- detailed, critical biography
Busse Library Resources on Browning
- Armstrong, Isobel. Robert Browning / 1975, c1974. PR4231 .R6 1975
- Chesterton, G.K. Robert Browning / 1903. PR4231 .C4 1903a
- Drew, Philip. Robert Browning; a collection of critical essays / 1966. PR4231 .D75
- Griffin, William Hall. The life of Robert Browning, with notices of his writings /  PR4231 .G7
- Mason, Cyrus. The poet Robert Browning and his kinsfolk / c1983. PR4232 .M28 1983
- Raymond, William O. The infinite moment, and other essays on Robert Browning / 1950. PR4238 .R35
- Ryals, Clyde de L. The life of Robert Browning: a critical biography / 1993. PR4231 .R9 1993
- Ward, Maisie. Robert Browning and his world / [c1967-69] PR4231 .W38
- Whitla, William. The central truth, the incarnation in Robert Browning's poetry /  PR4242.R4 W5
- Winwar, Frances. The immortal lovers: Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning, a biography /  PR4231 .W55
- The 1957 Nobel Prize for Literature: Albert Camus
- Albert Camus Critical Interpretation Page. By Paul M. Willenberg. -- offers biography, essays, and criticism
- Camus Studies Association: University of Florida
- Existentialism: A Primer. By C.S. Wyatt. c1996-2003.
- Le Web Camus: Web Camus -- gateway to biographies, criticism, and academic resources (French only)
- Selective and Cumulative Bibliography of Recent Studies on Albert Camus. Editor, Raymond Gay-Crosier, University of Florida. Camus Studies Association.
- Albert Camus: Books and Writers
- Albert Camus. Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed., 2001. Bartleby.com
- Albert Camus: Biography: The Existentialism Primer. Compiled by C.S. Wyatt. -- detailed chronology and critical study of works
Busse Library Resources on Camus
- Bree, Germaine. Camus and Sartre: crisis and commitment /  B2430.S34 B68
- Camus, Albert. Notebooks / 1963-. PQ2605.A3734 Z52 1963
- Cruickshank, John. Albert Camus and the literature of revolt / 1959. PR2605.A3734 Z63
- Knapp, Bettina Liebowitz. Critical essays on Albert Camus / c1988. PQ2605.A3734 Z6288 1988
- Lottman, Herbert R. Albert Camus: a biography / 1979. PQ2605 .A3734 Z698
- McCarthy, Patrick. Camus / c1982. PQ2605.A3734 Z72135 1982
- Sprintzen, David. Camus, a critical examination / 1988. PQ2605. A3734 Z73627 1988
- Biographical Notes on the Pseudonymous Bells. By Charlotte Bronte. Project Gutenberg.
- Jane Eyre. Project Gutenberg.
- The Literature Network: Charlotte Bronte -- full texts of Jane Eyre and Villette
- The Professor. Project Gutenberg.
- Villette. Project Gutenberg.
- The Bronte Sisters Web. By Mitsuharu Matsuoka.
- The Bronte Society (UK)
- Bronte Studies: Maney Publishers (UK) -- scholarly journal
- Charlotte Bronte: An Overview: The Victorian Web
- Charlotte Bronte: Jane Eyre. CUNY Brooklyn, Core Studies 6 Resource Page
- Hyper-Concordance to the Works of the Bronte Sisters: Victorian Literary Studies Archive
- The Bronte Birthplace: Thornton, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Bronte Country: Haworth, West Yorkshire, UK
- Bronte Parsonage Museum: Haworth, West Yorkshire
- "Charlotte Bronte: A Brief Biography." By David Cody. The Victorian Web.
- Charlotte Bronte: Books and Writers
- The Life of Charlotte Bronte. By Elizabeth Gaskell. (1857) -- critical biography
- Literary Encyclopedia: Charlotte Bronte -- detailed chronology
- Visit Bronte Country
Busse Library Resources on Bronte
- Blom, Margaret Howard. Charlotte Bronte / c1977. PR4169 .B55
- Bradby, G.F. The Brontes and other essays /  PR4168 .B7 1967.
- Crump, R.W. Charlotte and Emily Bronte: a reference guide / c1982. PR4168 .C7x
- Hanson, Lawrence. The four Brontes; the lives and works of Charlotte / 1949. PR4168 .H25
- Knies, Earl A. The art of Charlotte Bronte / 1969. PR4169 .K6
- Linder, Cynthia A. Romantic imagery in the novels of Charlotte Bronte / 1978. PR4169 .L5 1978b
- O'Neill, Judith. Critics on Charlotte and Emily Bronte /  PR4169 .O5 1968b
- Peters, Margot. Unquiet soul: a biography of Charlotte Bronte / 1976, c1975. PR4168.P38 1976.