From the Archives


In 1910, the Sisters of Mercy bought a plot of land in Cedar Rapids known as Mound Farm and announced plans to build a girls’ academy. Mount Mercy Junior College opened its doors in 1928. During its 90-year journey from a girls’ academy to a full university, the guiding principles of free intellectual inquiry, social responsibility, and purposeful living have remained the same. (Image circa late 1920s.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Telephone Booth
The Mount Mercy Muscular Dystrophy Association Team participates in a fundraising contest to see how many people can fit into a telephone booth. (Circa 1970s)