Adult Accelerated Programs FAQ

Is the Accelerated Program accredited?

Yes, the Accelerated Program at Mount Mercy is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

If I earn my degree through the Accelerated Program, will my degree be from Mount Mercy?

Yes, upon successful completion of your program of study, you will earn your degree and become an alumnus of Mount Mercy University. Though accelerated in delivery format, the course content and curriculum is equivalent to the University’s traditional semester length programs.

How long will it take to finish the degree?

It depends on the number of transfer credits accepted and the number of courses that are needed to meet graduate requirements. When you meet with your advisor you'll talk about specific information for your program.

When can I enter the program?

You can start the program at the beginning of any block. Also, if you need to take a block off, just let your advisor know when you register for classes.

Is there an application fee?

No, we do not charge an application fee.

Do I still have to request my transcript even if the only school I went to was Kirkwood or Hawkeye Community College?

Yes, we need you to request transcripts from all colleges previously attended including Kirkwood and Hawkeye.

What is the add/drop policy for classes?

To drop a course without charge, a student must drop prior to the first day of the block in order to have the reg¬istration deleted and no tuition charge assessed. 

If the course is dropped on, or after the block start date, but before the second night of class, the student will receive a grade of “W” on the academic transcript reflecting the withdrawal, but will not be charged.

Students dropping a given course after the course has started, during the second night of class or after will be charged 100% of the tuition. 

Students that are “No-Showed” (removed from the class due to non-attendance) for a given course, after the course has started, will receive a grade of “NA” and will be charged 100% of the tuition for the course. 

Please send us an email if you need to request a change to your schedule.

How many credits can I transfer?

Students who have earned an associate degree in an approved major at Kirkwood or Hawkeye Community College may transfer up to 75 credit hours.

Students who have an associate degree in another major, or from an institution other than Kirkwood or Hawkeye may transfer up to 63 hours.

Applicants with previous college coursework from a four-year institution who haven't earned a bachelor's degree can transfer up to 90 credit hours.

Can I earn credit for my service in the military?

Yes, credit hours may be obtained for military service. Please identify your military service in your initial advising appointment. Military education is evaluated upon the receipt of an AARTS transcript, official transcript from Community College of the Air Force, or your discharge papers. Each branch has its own form of documentation. Contact your respective branch office to learn more about having your transcripts sent.

It is important to have your military transcripts reviewed by the Registrar during your initial review prior to admission. The number of hours that you are able to pursue through Mount Mercy's articulated partnership with Kirkwood Community College/Hawkeye Community College may be affected by the number of hours transferring from your military education.

How can I get credit for work/life experience?

To serve the growing number of adult students pursuing educational/professional goals at Mount Mercy, the university implemented a program for the assessment of prior experiential learning (APEL). The program is based on the premise that what students know is more important than how or where it was learned. The variety of circumstances in which learning may occur is considerable including work experience or training, travel, self-initiated reading of study of programs, participation in the community, professional organizations, etc.


What must be understood is that Mount Mercy College will not be assessing the worth of one’s life. Persons cannot simply “cash-in” miscellaneous experience for college credit. Coherent, convincing cases must be built in which students identify specific learning outcomes stemming from their experience(s). These learning outcomes, unlike experience per se, lend themselves to critical, objective evaluation, and comprise what college and their faculties are best equipped to judge.

In order to be eligible for APEL through portfolio development and evaluation at Mount Mercy University, students must meet the following qualifications:

  • Be at least 25 years of age
  • Be officially enrolled in a degree program at Mount Mercy
  • Be able to demonstrate that the experiential learning for which they intend to seek credit is related to their educational goals at Mount Mercy.
  • Complete the assessment process, including the credit evaluation, prior to their final semester.

During your initial advising appointment, you are encouraged to discuss your prior experience with your program advisor. If applicable, you may elect to pursue credit for your prior and/or life experiences via Mount Mercy’s Assessment of Prior Experiential Learning.

Can I meet with someone to learn more?

Yes! We encourage interested persons to first complete the application process. For individuals seeking more than “general information,” the best way for Advance staff to accurately evaluate your status is to have a complete application on file. The Registrar will review your transcripts and application materials, and an Advance staff member will schedule an advising meeting with you in order to provide you with an accurate assessment of your transfer credits, and help you determine the remaining requirements to complete your chosen program.