Mount Mercy students explore study-abroad opportunities this summer

Several Mount Mercy students will head overseas this summer through programs and internships in Europe and South America, the result of ongoing partnerships and cultivation with institutions overseas.

Among them, junior Alison Swanson, an English and criminal justice major from Marion, Iowa and junior Michael Casella, a biology major from Oxford, Iowa will be studying Czech language and culture at an intensive program at the Summer School for Slavonic Languages at Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic.

"As an English major, I've grown to love my own language and have a real appreciation for words and conversation," says Swanson. "The opportunity to jump in and immerse myself in a foreign language will be challenging and enriching. Studying abroad has been on the table for a few years but I decided to take the plunge this summer. I was happy to find an international program that would lead into my senior year at Mount Mercy and allow me the cultural experience I was looking for."

In addition, junior Jordan Ask, a finance and marketing major from Cedar Rapids, will be studying Welsh culture and outdoor pursuits at Bangor University in Bangor, Wales. Junior Allison Wampler, a nursing major from Marion, Iowa, will be exploring Spanish for health professionals at Veritas University, San Jose, Costa Rica.

"Today's students are increasingly looking for opportunities to challenge themselves academically, professionally, and personally through study abroad programs," says Mount Mercy's Director of International Programs Catharine Cashner. "Summer and short term study abroad programs offer a great opportunity for students who want to have an international experience, but who chose not to spend an entire semester away from campus."

Two Mount Mercy classes recently returned from European trips during Mount Mercy's January (J-Term) course last winter, and additional classes are on the books for J-Term trips next year, including a British Literature and Culture course to Europe and a MBA course which aims to take students to South America. An education class will also travel to the UK over spring break next year. 

Share on...

Mount Mercy on...