Graduate studies demand specialized research, writing, and time management skills. The Busse Library staff provides the following resources to assist graduate students with their unique class assignments and course requirements.
Scroll or select a topic of interest:
Citing Sources: Using APA Style (6th edition) -- Graduate School: Guides and Discussions of Scholarly Writing -- Specialized Writing: The Literature Review --Specialized Writing: The Annotated Bibliography --Time Management in Graduate School -- Graduate School "Survival" Guides and Resources
Citing Sources: Using APA Style (6th edition)
RefWorks -- citation formatting tool that offers APA and MLA styles
APA Style -- guidelines from Busse Library (APA, 6th edition, 2010)
Model Paper: Mount Mercy University -- PDF sample paper with cover page, running head, headings, and references list
Advanced APA Formatting: Tables, Figures, Appendices, Tables of Contents -- Busse Library guide. Addresses landscape and portrait orientation issues, as well as creating a table of contents.
In-Text Citation Table -- Busse Library version of APA table that shows how to reference authors and how to create parenthetical (internal) citations
Running-Head Steps -- Procedure for creating APA's required, running head in Office 2007 or Office 2010
Graduate School: Guides and Discussions of Scholarly Writing
- Cochrane, John H. (2005). “Writing Tips for Ph.D. Students.” Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Damast, Alison. (2008, November 18). “MBA Writing Tips.” Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Hallas, Donna, & Feldman, Harriet R. (2006). “A Guide to Scholarly Writing in Nursing.” NSNA Imprint. (National Student Nurse Association)
- Harris, Martha Jane. (2006). “Three Steps to Teaching Abstract and Critique Writing.” International J of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 17(2), 136-146.
- Middleton, Diana. (2011, March 3). “Students struggle for words: Business schools put more emphasis on writing amid employer complaints.” Wall Street Journal.
- Nolan, Robert, & Rocco, Tonette. (2009). “Teaching Graduate Students in the Social Sciences: Writing for Publication.” International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 20(2), 267-273.
- Nurse Author & Editor – Wiley-Blackwell publication on professional writing in the field.
- Singleton-Jackson, Jill A., & Lumsden, D. Barry. “Johnny Still Can’t Write, Even if He Goes to College: A Study of Writing Proficiency in Higher Education Graduate Students.”
- Wagenmakers, Eric-Jan. (April 2009). “Teaching Graduate Students How to Write Clearly.” The Observer: The Association for Psychological Science (APS).
- The Writing Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (UNC). Writing Center Handouts.
- Yale Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, Yale University. (2012). Graduate Writing Center: Online Tutorials.
Specialized Writing: The Literature Review
- Ashton, William. "Writing a Short Literature Review." York College, CUNY.
- Conducting a Literature Review in Education & Behavioral Sciences. Adelphi University Libraries, Garden City, NY.
- Knopf, Jeffrey W. (2006). "Doing a Literature Review." PSOnline.
- Literature Review Guide. (2011). Wesleyan University, Olin Library.
- Literature Reviews: An Overview for Graduate Students. North Carolina State University (NCSU) Libraries.
- Literature Reviews: The Writing Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), College of Arts and Sciences.
- Taylor, Dena. "The Literature Review: A Few Tips on Conducting It." University of Toronto, Health Sciences Writing Center.
Specialized Writing: The Annotated Bibliography
- "Annotated Bibliographies." (2011). Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL). Purdue University.
- "Creating APA Annotated Bibliographies, 6th ed." Bethel University Libraries.
- "How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography." (2010). Olin and Uris Libraries, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- "How to Write an Annotated Bibliography." (2011). Wesleyan University Libraries, Middletown, CT.
- Petitemorte, Lou. (2003, November 4). "An Annotated Bibliography on How to Create an Annotated Bibliography." San Francisco State University.
- Teaching American History, Developing Master Teachers. (2008). "Annotated Bibliography Example."
- "Writing an Annotated Bibliography." (2012). CAL POLY Library Services, Robert F. Kennedy Library.
Time Management in Graduate School
Graduate School "Survival" Guides and Resources
- Azuma, Ronald T. (2003). "So Long, and Thanks for the Ph.D.!" a.k.a. "Everything I Wanted to Know about C.S. Graduate School at the Beginning but Didn't Learn Until Later."
- Darwin, Tommy, & Alexander, Elizabeth. (2006). "Tools for Success in Graduate School and Beyond: Building Relationships...Having an Impact." The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School.
- desJardins, Marie. (2004). "How to Succeed in Graduate School: A Guide for Students and Advisors."
- Dreger, Alice Domurat. (1996-2011). "Grad School Survival."
- Project Graduate School: A Blog of the University of Oregon [UO] McNair Scholars Program.
- Shell, M.S. (2007). "How to Succeed in Graduate School...Unfiltered Thoughts from Recent Graduates." ChE 210A, UC Santa Barbara, College of Engineering.