At Mount Mercy, our job is to give you the tools to become a well-rounded, well-prepared teachers who will help their students succeed in today's diverse classroom setting. To do this, we offer programs in general education, concentration in a major field of learning, and a sequence of education courses leading to your professional licensure by the State of Iowa.
For education majors, an endorsement represents a competency to teach a given subject at a specific level, for instance, language arts at the primary level. As an elementary education major, you must select from the endorsements listed below.
- English/Language Arts
- Instructional Strategist Level I K-8 (special education)
- Instructional Strategist Level II K-12 (special education)
- Middle School (5-8)
- Science-Basic (changes in requirements in process)
- Social Science-History
- Social Science-Social Studies
- Speech Communication-Theater
- Teacher Pre-Kindergarten-Grade 3, Including Special Education
The Mount Mercy teacher preparation program is accredited by the State of Iowa and is in good standing.