Busse Library provides these titles and websites for students and faculty seeking information about American domestic history -- what it was like to live in each decade of the twentieth century. Books listed here are a sampling available in the library and elsewhere. Websites reflect selected topics. All decade categories can be found on this page.
Scroll down the desktop to view selected titles or move to the desired section:
1900s: The Edwardian Age
1910s: The World War I Era
1920s: The Jazz Age and Financial Collapse
1930s: The Great Depression and Recovery
1940s: World War II and Prosperity
1950s: Korea and the Rise of Middle Class America
1960s: Civil Rights and Unrest
1970s: Vietnam, Watergate, and the Aftermath
1980s: The Decade of Greed
1990s: The Technology Revolution
Busse Library Resources
- Adams, John. Housing America in the 1980s / c1987. HD7293 .A625 1987
- Carroll, Peter N. It seemed like nothing happened: the tragedy / c1982. E169.12 .C29 1982
- Cayton, Mary Kupiec. Encyclopedia of American social history / 1993. HN 57 .E58 1993, Ref.
- Glennon, Lorraine. Our times: the illustrated history of the 20th century / c1995. D422 .O89 1995, Ref.
- Grenville, J.A.S. A history of the world in the twentieth century / 1994. D421 .G65 1994
- Hayden, Dolores. Redesigning the American dream: the future of housing, work / c1984. HD7293 .H39 1984
- Johnson, Haynes Bonner. Divided we fall: gambling with history in the nineties / c1994. E885 .J65 1994
- Layman, Richard. American decades / c1994-. E169.12 .A42, Ref.
- Meltzer, Ellen. Day by day, the eighties / 1995. D848 .M45 1995, Ref.
- Mintz, Steven. Domestic revolutions: a social history of American family life / c1988. HQ535 .M46 1988
- Morgan, Edward P. The 60s experience: hard lessons about modern America / 1991. E841 .M64 1991
- Schlesinger, Arthur Meier. Violence: America in the sixties /  HN58 .S33
- Shifflett, Crandall A. Victorian America, 1876-1913 / c1996. E174.5 .A5x 1996, Ref.
- Spain, Tom. America in the '40s: a sentimental journey / c1997. Video E 169.A494
As a Catholic, Mercy university, Mount Mercy University does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external websites.